An addiction psychiatrist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of substance abuse and the mental health conditions that accompany it. Addiction psychiatrists treat people of all ages who have addictions to illegal drugs, alcohol, and prescription medications complicated by coexisting mental health disorders, such as depression, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia.
– Diagnose psychiatric diseases and conditions including substance addiction, depression, dementia, bipolar disorder, anxiety, post-traumatic
– Assesses the degree of substance abuse and formulates a treatment plan accordingly
– Orders and interprets laboratory tests
– Provides comprehensive substance abuse treatment and addiction therapy, such as psychotherapy. In some cases, the doctor will refer
– Provides detoxification treatment to safely wean patients off substances